What Are the Worst Car Crash Injuries That Might Need Legal Help?
- What Are the Worst Car Crash Injuries That Might Need Legal Help?
- How Do Car Accidents Happen?
- What Are Possible Life-Altering Injuries From Car Crashes?
- Why Is Medical Treatment So Important Following a Car Crash?
- You Got Medical Help, but How Do You Get Insurance Help?
- Myers Law Firm Is Here to Help You After a Severe Car Accident Injury
What Are the Worst Car Crash Injuries That Might Need Legal Help?
A car accident might happen in an instant, but the fallout can last for years to come. Victims often have a long road to overcoming debilitating injuries while being faced with a mountain of unexpected costs.
Recovering after a car accident can entail managing your treatments, dealing with car and health insurance, and legal strategies. Working with an experienced personal injury lawyer could help you get the compensation you deserve.
How Do Car Accidents Happen?
Car accidents happen for a variety of reasons and cause a range of injuries. While circumstances like driving in poor weather conditions can be dangerous, another driver’s negligence is more often what causes an accident. Drunk driving, drug use (even legitimate medication), failing to yield or stay in the correct lane, and careless or distracted driving are some of the leading types of negligence and causes of injuries.
The blunt force trauma of an auto accident can make the situation even worse. Head-on collisions, rollover accidents, or additional vehicles involved may increase the likelihood of lifelong injuries or conditions, but even simple rear-end collisions can cause long-term effects.
“I wanted to thank you. I know it takes a lot to put together a case. After the first time meeting with you, you remembered our information, barely referring to your notes and continued to do so. You were generous with your thoughts and ideas as to how we could get what we were hoping for and it's so appreciated. We couldn't have gotten the verdict yesterday without you....It really does make a difference that you seem to care.”
“I went to another law firm and they turned me down…would not take my case. Myers Law Firm met with me, handled my case and would not back down from insurance company. Even when they had to file suit to protect me for my personal injury and property damage. I received a very fair settlement. Mr. Myers I appreciate you and your staff.”
“Mr. Lee-Thanks to you and Bessie for all of your help last year and most recently with the referral. I sold the house and the kids and I moved 8 days before Christmas. God is good, faithful and true.”
What Are Possible Life-Altering Injuries From Car Crashes?
In 2020, drivers who suffered injuries in car accidents shared an estimated $473 billion in costs. Those expenses included treatments and wage loss because of injuries. Many types of injuries add to climbing medical costs, but there are a few serious kinds that can greatly contribute to a compensation claim:
- Traumatic brain injuries: When the head connects with the headrest, steering wheel, window, or frame of the car, problems can go a lot further than facial injuries – damage to the brain is likely. And when there’s a serious blow to the head, the effects might last a lifetime. From emergency surgery to ongoing mental anguish, the expenses and challenges of a brain injury can keep growing.
- Spinal cord injury: Motorcycle and car accidents cause over half of new spinal cord injuries annually. Medical conditions ranging from lower back damage and up to upper neck injuries like aggravated ligaments, fractured vertebrae, and damaged nerves can cause paralysis and other complications that make it difficult to achieve independence after an accident.
- Amputation: Traumatic injuries, like what drivers experience in a car accident, make up about 45% of amputations. The force of an accident can damage a limb so severely that it is removed, either by the impact or a later surgical procedure. Victims will likely face ongoing therapy, accessibility renovation costs, and continued pain and suffering.
- Internal organ damage: What starts as a light tenderness can be a sign of serious internal injury. A broken rib could puncture a lung, or a seatbelt can apply too much force to the intestines. Whatever the cause, organ injuries might lead to internal bleeding and failed bodily functions, which usually means emergency surgery is necessary.
- Broken bones: The force of a car accident may be too much for bones to handle, and clean breaks aren’t always the outcome. Bones that completely separate or break through the skin can come with potential organ, tendon, and ligament damage and require immediate surgery to repair. Common broken bones can include the foot and ankle, up the legs, and the arms and hands.
Related video: Compensation Explained: What Can I Receive From My Injury Case?
Why Is Medical Treatment So Important Following a Car Crash?
Getting proper medical attention after an accident is crucial for several reasons:
- Your number one goal after an accident is to take care of yourself and your health. Even with the most severe injuries, slow-onset symptoms or shock can disguise warning signs and waiting to act could be extremely dangerous.
- Going to the doctor right after a car accident makes it easier to show the direct line of causation from an auto accident to symptoms and treatments.
- Finally, it’s important to have receipts to support your claim. Visiting the doctor will allow you to start accounting for all the costs you face from an accident, along with emergency treatment, therapy, and ongoing medication. Saving all receipts from your medical care will be helpful when you seek reimbursement.
You Got Medical Help, but How Do You Get Insurance Help?
Most drivers don’t have the money necessary to cover another person’s personal injury costs, which is where their insurance company comes into play. The insurance company might make an offer to cover expenses after a car accident. But too often, the amount doesn’t match the actual cost of an accident. Settlement offers don’t always include pain and suffering, mental anguish, and ongoing care.
It’s important to consult a personal injury lawyer to decide whether the offer is fair based on the circumstances of your accident. If the insurance company doesn’t agree to what you view as a fair offer, it might be time to file a lawsuit.
Myers Law Firm Is Here to Help You After a Severe Car Accident Injury
At Myers Law Firm, we understand how serious injuries from a car accident can change your life. When you’re facing unexpected trouble because of someone else’s negligence, we’re here to help you.
We have over 60 years of combined experience in helping car accident victims get the compensation they deserve, so call our office at 888-376-2889 or fill out our brief online form to schedule a free consultation.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Injury Prevention and Control. (2021, February 2). Transportation Safety. https://www.cdc.gov/transportationsafety/index.html
National Safety Council. (2022). Injury Facts. https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/motor-vehicle/overview/introduction/
Insurance Information Institute. (2022). Facts + Statistics: Highway safety. https://www.iii.org/fact-statistic/facts-statistics-highway-safety
Shores, Jaimie Troyal, M.D. (2022). Amputation. John Hopkins Medicine: Health. https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/treatment-tests-and-therapies/amputation
The content provided here is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject.
Contact Myers Law Firm
We are committed to continuing to serve our clients’ legal needs
We are able to meet with clients and hold consultations with prospective clients via telephone or video conference. If you need to contact us, please do not hesitate; we are happy to speak with you about your situation, your needs, and how we can help.